The primary duties of a Plant Manufacturing Manager include:
- Understands, follows and enforces all established safety, health, quality GMP and Company policies, procedures and recognized practices.
- Works with production managers to oversee all Production department personnel, including: hiring, training, performance reviews, recognition, disciplinary issues, attendance, retention, and grievances.
- Oversees plant safety initiatives, ensuring participation and development of safety training programs, plant safety meetings, safety audits and by encouraging employee involvement through safety suggestions and recognition programs.
- Develop and execute an annual operating plan to support all production activities to satisfy customer service requirements with respect to time, cost, and quality.
- Implement cost effective systems of control over capital, operating expenditures, manpower, wages and salaries.
- Maintain an acceptable level of First Pass Yield (FPY), minimizing regrind and rework.
- Control and minimize labor overtime, cross freight costs and other incidental operating expenses.
- Oversees all supervisory project work such as safety programs, housekeeping, regrind, CQI, etc.
- Ensures cost effective inventory levels of production supplies are maintained to meet production requirements.
- Coordinates with the Technical Manager on the preventative maintenance required for the operational equipment ensuring minimum disruption to operations.
- Participates in all physical inventories in accordance with corporate procedures.
- Oversees all trials and R & D for packaging conditions such as banding and stretch wrap.
- Ensures that the necessary plant Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) are developed and that production employees have been trained to meets plant operations objectives.
- In collaboration with the technical manager, ensures implementation of continuous improvement plans using Operation Excellence tools across cross functional departments.
- Promote an open door and team building environment policy.
- Maintain high visibility on the production floor.
Core Proficiencies and Skills
Plant manufacturing managers are required to interact with other functional managers, employees, vendors, and customers. Therefore, the following skills and proficiencies are also essential of the position:
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance.
- Computer usage and typing skills are essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Collaborates well with others: proactively contributes to group objectives; volunteers to help others.